PhD position in Artificial Intelligence and Information Retrieval
Faculty of Science – Informatics Institute
- 9 oktober 2018
- €2,266 to €2,897 gross per month
- 9 november 2018
- 38 hours per week
The University of Amsterdam (UvA) invites applications for a PhD position for four years. The position is part of AIRLab, the Artificial Intelligence for Retail Lab, a joint research lab between Ahold Delhaize and the Innovation Center for Artificial Intelligence.
Artificial intelligence, and in particular machine learning, has become a driving force behind many breakthroughs. Ahold Delhaize, a multinational retail organization, and the Innovation Center for AI (ICAI), which is headquartered at the University of Amsterdam, have started a joint research lab in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, to join the best of academic and industrial research. The lab focuses on fundamental research in artificial intelligence for retail. The lab will host 17 PhD positions and research assistants. It is led by a director who is currently being. One of the perks of the program is an exchange program where each lab member will work on site at one of the Ahold Delhaize R&D sites.
We are currently looking for a PhD candidate to join AIRLab. As a PhD candidate you will perform cutting edge research in AIRLab in the field of AI, with a special focus mining multi-modal e-commerce queries. You will develop algorithms that support novel ways for users to search and interact with online platforms that are device specific (for example speech, or augmented reality), all the way from intent mining to recommendation.
- conduct AI research with a special focus on personalization and content-analysis for retail;
- publish in top tier conferences and journals in relevant areas;
- provide teaching assistance (10%);
- complete a PhD thesis.
- You have an MSc degree in computer science or artificial intelligence;
- you have a demonstrable background in machine learning and ideally deep learning;
- your mathematical background is solid and you have excellent software engineering skills, English language skills, social skills, and team spirit;
- you appreciate an international and highly interdisciplinary environment in which academic-industrial collaboration is central.
Your position is primarily based at the Informatics Institute, University of Amsterdam. You will spend 50% of your time in the R&D environments of Ahold Delhaize.
For more information, please contact:
- Prof Maarten de Rijke
T: +31 (0)20 525 5358
The appointment will be full-time (38 hours a week) for a period of four years (initial employment is 18 months). Periodic evaluations will be held after 9 and 14 months, and upon positive evaluation, the appointment will be extended to a total of 48 months. The appointment must lead to a dissertation (PhD thesis). An educational plan that includes attendance of courses, summer and/or winter schools, and national and international meetings will be drafted for the PhD candidate. The PhD candidate is also expected to assist in teaching of undergraduate students.
The salary is in accordance with the university regulations for academic personnel. The salary will range from €2,266 (first year) up to a maximum of €2,897 (last year) before tax per month (scale P) based on a full-time appointment. There are also secondary benefits, such as 8% holiday allowance per year and the end of year allowance of 8.3%. The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities is applicable.
Among other things, we offer:
- competitive pay and excellent benefits;
- extremely friendly working environment;
- high-level of interaction;
- international environment (10+ nationalities in the group);
- access to high-end computing facilities (cluster with 4,000+ cores);
- one of the best AI ecosystems on the planet;
- new building located near the city center (10 minutes by bicycle) of one of Europe’s most beautiful and lively cities.
Since Amsterdam is a very international city where almost everybody speaks and understands English, candidates need not be afraid of the language barrier.
The UvA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We value a spirit of enquiry and endurance, provide the space to keep asking questions and cherish a diverse atmosphere of curiosity and creativity.
You may only submit your application online using the link below.
We will accept applications until the positions are filled.
To process your application immediately, please quote the vacancy number: 18-605.
The committee does not guarantee that late or incomplete applications will be considered.
In the research statement (see below) you should clearly describe your research vision in relation to the topics that we described, as well as a clear statement which would be your direction of research.
You should also include the following information, in separate PDF files (not zipped), using surname, initials and a self-evident word as file names, e.g. , Smith J CV:
- a curriculum vitae (including a url allowing download of pdf of MSc. thesis - if relevant);
- a letter of motivation (at most 1 page) explaining why you are interested in this position;
- a research statement (at most 2 pages), explaining your research interests and how you think they can be related to the topics mentioned in the job description above;
- a list of all university courses taken, including a transcript of grades;
- the name and contact details (including email address) of three referees who can provide details about your profile (one of whom should be the main supervisor of your Master thesis).
No agencies please