Literary and Cultural Analysis (Literary Studies)
The Bachelor's in Literary and Cultural Analysis highlights philosophical, political, and social perspectives on culture. The programme is perfectly suited to students who have an active and broad interest in contemporary culture, literature, and the arts.
Literature, art and popular culture in context
Literary and Cultural Analysis offers you the intellectual knowledge and skills to interpret and reflect on literature, art and popular culture. Central to the programme is the hands-on engagement with concrete objects – novels, films, poems, operas, television series, art installations, websites, performances, and so on. The detailed analysis of these objects is combined with wide-ranging philosophical, political and social approaches to culture and the arts. In this way, the programme enables you to interpret and evaluate particular texts, images, and objects in relation to larger philosophical explorations and cultural developments.
Is Literary and Cultural Analysis right for you?
Literary and Cultural Analysis the ideal programme for you if:
- You have an active interest in contemporary culture, literature and the arts.
- You are fascinated by philosophical and political questions.
- You have a qualified pre-university diploma – a valid secondary school/high school diploma or Dutch university preparatory education (VWO) diploma.
- You can demonstrate a good command of the English language.
Why study Literary and Cultural Analysis at the UvA?
Literary and Cultural Analysis at the University of Amsterdam offers you:
- A unique, interdisciplinary programme: the degree combines the best of two disciplines – Cultural Studies and Comparative Literature – offering unique philosophical and political insights into art, literature and popular culture.
- A tailor-made programme: you will be able to combine our core courses with electives in Media Studies, Philosophy, Comparative Literature, Art History, and History;
- A vibrant community with an international outlook: you will be taught by leading intellectuals focused on contemporary global developments in a student community comprising more than 60 nationalities.
- The opportunity to study in the historical centre of Amsterdam, a European hub with a rich historical and cultural heritage.
- After completing your Bachelor's, you can apply to one of the UvA's many Master's programmes.
Rankings and reputation
The University of Amsterdam (UvA) offers a world-class education in the Arts and Humanities:
- UvA is ranked 32nd for the Arts and Humanities in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017.
- UvA is ranked 53rd in the world for the Arts and Humanities in the QS World University Rankings 2017.
- UvA is a member of the League of European Research Universities (LERU), an exclusive network of renowned research universities.
- UvA is a member of Universitas 21, a network of leading 21st century research-intensive universities in 13 countries.
Want to know more?
Reread all of the information at your own convenience in our brochure and join us at one of our Bachelor's open days.
Literary and Cultural Analysis is an accredited degree programme of Literary Studies. Upon successful completion of the programme students will receive a legally accredited Bachelor's degree in Literary Studies and the title Bachelor of Arts (BA).
- BA Literary Studies
- Regulier onderwijs
- Voltijd, deeltijd
- 180 EC, 36 maanden