Biological Sciences: Ecology and Evolution (track)
The aim of the two-year track Ecology and Evolution in the Master's programme Biological Sciences is to promote understanding of the relationships between living organisms, the evolution of species and the function of ecosystems, in order to contribute to more sustainability on earth.
Ecology and Evolution at the UvA is the study for you, if you
- are looking for expert training to thoroughly understand how plant and animal species originate and together shape communities that inhabit the ecosystems on our planet
- want to explore the options to improve and protect the earth's biodiversity
- are interested in a wide choice of courses and internships in the Netherlands, Europe or anywhere in the world.
What does Ecology and Evolution at the UvA have to offer me?
The Master’s track Ecology and Evolution builds on the internationally renowned research of the Institute of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics (IBED). Teaching and learning activities are firmly integrated with the current research. Track-specific research can be fundamental (e.g. speciation, soil-plant-insect interactions, community dynamics, long-term (paleo) ecology) or applied (e.g. pest control, nature conservation, bird migration, ecosystem services).
The following research areas are offered at the University of Amsterdam
- Biodiversity and conservation biology
- Eco-evolutionary dynamics
- Evolution of behavior and species interactions
- Genetics and genomics of adaptation
- Impact of climate change and anthropogenic disturbance
- Landscape genetics
- Population management and biological pest-control
- Social evolution
Course teaching in this track is shared with the MSc Ecology of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU). Therefore, as a Biological Sciences student you benefit from the expertise, networks and research projects at both universities.
Webinar Biological Sciences
In this recorded webinar of November 2016, programme director Joost Duivenvoorden and two Master's students inform you about the ins en outs of this two-year Master's Programme.
Become part of the world-wide research network in Ecology and Evolution
Master’s students in Ecology and Evolution have many internship options at prestigious affiliated institutes in Amsterdam, the Netherlands and abroad, such as
- MSc Biological Sciences
- Regulier onderwijs
- 120 EC, 24 maanden